Government set to announce new undersecretaries and political assistants
The government is set to announce the first batch of new undersecretaries and political assistants next week.
Potential candidates include:
- Hospital Chief Executive of United Christian Hospital Dr Chui Tak-yi as Undersecretary for Food and Health;
- Joseph Chan Ho-lim from Liberal Party as Undersecretary for Financial Services and the Treasury;
- Deputy Secretary for Transport and Housing (Transport) 2 Andy Chan as Undersecretary for Constitutional and Mainland Affairs;
- Former Political Assistant for Home Affairs Caspar Tsui (DAB) as Undersecretary for Welfare and Labour;
- Former Political Assistant for Commerce and Economic Development Bernard Chan (DAB) as Undersecretary for Commerce and Economic Development;
- Former Undersecretary for Innovation and Technology Dr David Chung will stay;
- Police Director of Crime and Security Sonny Au as Undersecretary for Security.
CUHK appoints new Vice-Chancellor and President
The Council of The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) unanimously approved the appointment of Professor Rocky Tuan as the eighth Vice-Chancellor and President of CUHK for a period of six years from 1 January 2018, to succeed Professor Joseph Sung who will step down as Vice-Chancellor and President on the same date and continue to serve as Professor of Medicine and Therapeutics at the Faculty of Medicine, CUHK.
Professor Tuan is a biomedical scientist specializing in stem cell science and regenerative medicine. He is currently Distinguished Professor and Executive Vice-Chairman in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Arthur J. Rooney, Sr. Chair in Sports Medicine, Director of the Center for Cellular and Molecular Engineering, Founding Director of the Center for Military Medicine Research, Associate Director of the McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, and Professor in the Department of Bioengineering, at the University of Pittsburgh, USA.
Five new members for Aviation Development and Three-runway System Advisory Committee
The Government has announced the membership of the new term of the Aviation Development and Three-runway System Advisory Committee (ADTAC) for two years with effect from 1 August, 2017.
Five new members are appointed to the ADTAC in the new term. They are Chan Chi-chiu, former Director of Drainage Services, former Director of Water Supplies and former President of the Hong Kong Institute of Engineers, Rupert Hogg, CEO of Cathay Pacific Airways, Tang King-shing, former Police Commissioner, Alex Koo Pok-sing, CEO of AOC Hong Kong, and Samuel Lau Kin-pui, Executive Director of Kerry Logistics.