Commitment to the cause: Hong Kong’s 99th day of protests

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp

Harbour Times on the day’s hectic events, providing up to ten hours of protest coverage on the streets.

The 99th day of protests in Hong Kong was very familiar to many as what began as peaceful demonstrations descended into violent clashes between police, anti-extradition protesters, and other vigilantes (i.e. Pro-China advocates) who violently confronted protesters.

Despite Sunday’s police ban on Civil Rights Human Front’s march, crowds of people showed up at Causeway Bay as soon as 2PM. Soon after 2:30, thousands of protesters began to march on towards Central. 

Another wave of marchers down Harcourt and Hennessy Road in the early afternoon set out to the British Consulate where protesters called for support from the British government to aid the anti-extradition movement in their pursuit to have the HKSAR government meet the four remaining demands. Many marchers brandished US flags, and some even held up Trump 2020 re-election banners. Water cannons were reportedly deployed as soon as 3PM. You can see footage of water cannons in the distance in Harbour Times’ video below, which was caught before 6PM.

MTR closures: Admiralty MTR station was closed not long after the vandalism at Wan Chai. Wan Chai MTR station experienced extensive vandalism and damages, and fires were also set at the station later in the day. Wan Chai MTR was shut down at around 6PM. Causeway Bay followed suit as its station was closed down at around 7:30.

The action moves to Fortress Hill, where a man is attacked and beaten to the ground for allegedly assaulting someone outside of a church. After 9PM, many gathered in North Point and sang Glory to Hong Kong, the protest movement’s anthem. A violent confrontation broke out in front of a McDonald’s, where a man in blue emerged bleeding.

Harbour Times received a photo via Airdrop of a man in a white shirt wielding what looks like a butcher’s knife. Four men are standing behind him, looking relatively calm compared to the menacing image before them. He was later escorted by police who protected him with a shield, which was caught on RTHK’s live stream.

Not long before midnight, the police lined up journalists up against a wall, demanding ID and more. They detained one on account of what she said was a knife, like a butter knife or for cutting mooncakes. The three women are student journalists from Baptist University, while the two men are from a website. Police accuse some of them for looking “too young” to be journalists. One of the young journalists recounts what happened to Harbour Times’ Andrew Work in the video below.

Constant physical and verbal confrontations amongst reporters, police, protesters, and otherwise peppered throughout the following hours, with things winding down by the time it was midnight.

For more information on the protests and live coverage, follow Harbour Times on Twitter.

Printer: R&R Publishing Limited, Suite 705, 7F, Cheong K. Building, 84-86 Des Voeux Road, Central, Hong Kong